The History of the Barron River Hotel
In 1887 William Boden opened the Stratford Hotel (Now known as the Barron River Hotel) to service the many construction workers who were building the Kuranda Range Railway. The Hotel was owned by Government Surveyor Thomas Behan, who also owned the Stratford Rice Mill. One of Behan's employees, a surveyor called 'Bunda' Edwards, died in one of the hotel rooms in 1889, Bunda Edwards named Kuranda as part of his work as a surveyor and he had Bunda Street in Parramatta Park and Bundaberg names after him.
In 1926 the hotel was bought by Jim and Madge Tully from Mrs Scanlan. It was known as Tully's Stratford Hotel and was popular with employees from the timber mill who would cash their fortnightly pay cheques here. There was a hall at the back of the pub where dances and euchre parties were held. The hall was also used for Sunday school and after church the children would run to the back door of the pub where Mrs Tully would hand out soft-drinks to everyone.
Originally surrounded by cane fields and a couple of workers shacks, the hotel now is in the middle of one of Cairns most fashionable suburbs, close to the beautiful Northern Beaches yet still only 10 minutes drive to the heart of the city. The area is actually known for it's diverse, high quality restaurants and relaxed ambience.