Below is extracted from this document
The Crown Hotel is believed to be one of the first Hotels built on the Northside of Brisbane... and was owned by the same family for 100 years.
The Crown Hotel was built in 1881 and was purchased in 1888 by Irish-born John McDermott, who arrived in Brisbane on the sailing ship 'Earl of Russell' in August 1864 and ran the Hotel from 1884 until his death in 1908 when it was leased -- but by 1932 the family again had taken over the running of the Hotel.
Old records also show the Hotel had been built on land that was subject to Crown land grant before Queensland became a separate State.
The old-establised Crown Hotel at Lutwyche Road, Lutwyche, is the only Hotel on the left hand side of Lutwyche Road, between the City and Strathpine.
Mr. William (Bill) Webb, and his sisters - Miss Irene Webb and Mrs. Marie Goldburg said their parents ran the Hotel from 1932 to 1945.
From 1945 the Hotel was leased until 1960 when the family decided to manage the Hotel themselves.
The Crown Hotel has undergone considerable improvements over the years, including a First Choice where patrons can browse and select from an extensive range of both Australian and Imported Wines, Spirits, Liqueurs, etc, a new gaming room, homely bistro and state of the art Ubet facilities.
In 1969 the Crown Hotel acquired about two acres of adjoining property on part of which a 200-capacity car park was built.
One of the Car Park construction finds proved the Hotel's link with that past ... a large well obviously used for water supplies before water reticulation was though of.
The well as large as a fair-sized room, was about 12ft deep, and is believed to have serviced many people in the surrounding area.
Another link with Brisbane's past was found in the Hotel's records - the bricks used in the original hotel building were made on the spot from a clay pit at the back of the Hotel grounds.
This clay pit now forms part of the Crown Car Park, and a housing area, at the rear of the Hotel.